This is another meal that bf makes
4 - 6 portions rice
For the sauce:
175g/6oz green lentils
2 tablespoon sunflower oil
1 large onion, chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
1-2 teaspoon chilli powder
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 red & 1 green pepper, stalk & seeds removed & chopped
2 carrots, peeled & chopped
2 x 400g/14oz can chopped tomatoes
1 heaped tablespoon tomatoe purée
300ml/1/2 pint vegetable stock
100g/4oz frozen peas
3 tablespoon vegetarian pesto
175g/6oz mushrooms, wiped & quartered
1 courgette, chopped
salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 can kidney beans, drained & cooked
1. Place the green lentils in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them. Leave to soak for 30 minutes. (Alternatively, buy a tin of pre soaked lentils.) Drain.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onion and garlic together with the chilli and cumin, until the onions are softening.
3. Add the peppers, carrots and drained green lentils and cook for 5 minutes, stirring all the time.
4. Add the tomatoes, purée, stock, peas and pesto, bring to the boil and simmer until the lentils are tender (about 30 minutes).
5. Add the mushrooms and courgettes and simmer for 5 minutes more.
6. Season to taste.
7. Add the cooked kidney beans and simmer for 5 more minutes.
8. Serve with cooked rice.
There are lots of vegetarian pestos out there, this has been cooked with a basil pesto and a tomato pesto.