225g (8oz) Digestive Biscuits
75g (3oz) butter, melted
1 x 395g tin of condensed milk
3 medium egg yolks
finely grated zest of 3 and half limes and
the juice of 4 limes. Keep half a lime back to decorate.
284 mil (10floz) whipping cream
1 tbsp icing supar
1/2 coarsly grated lime zest to decorate.
You will also need one 8" / 22cm loose bottomed tart tin.
1. Heat the oven to 160°C, 325 °F , Gas Mark 3.
2. Leave the eggs out at room temperature.
3. Place the biscuits into a blender and blend until smooth. Or place them in a strong bag and hit them with a rolling pin.
4. Place the blended biscuits into a mixing bowl.
5. Place the butter into a pan on a low heat and watch it until it melts. DO NOT let it burn.
6. When the butter is fully melted, take it off the heat and add it to the biscuits. Mix well.
7. Place the biscuit and melted butter mix into the bottom of the tin and smooth the base with the back of a spoon.
8. Lift the tin BY THE SIDES and place in the oven ontop of a metal tray. Leave in the oven for 10 mins. After 10 mins remove from the oven and cool at room temperature.
Meanwhile make the filling.
9. Seperate the egg yolks into a mixing bowl, placing the egg whites into a seperate bowl (Not used in this recipe). Whisk the egg yolks for 1 min with an electric whisk.
10. Add the condensed milk and whisk for 3 mins.
11. Add the finely grated zest of 3 and a half limes and the juice of 4 limes and whisk again for 3 mins.
12. Pour the filling mix into the cooled base and with a spatula carefully spread it ontop of the base.
13. Lift the tin BY THE SIDES and place in the oven ontop of a metal tray. Leave in the oven for 15 mins.
14. Cool at room tempertaure for 1 hour, then put it carefully in the fridge to chill for 3 hours or overnight.
Before you serve, make the topping.
15. Carefully remove the pie from the tin and put it on a serving plate.
16. Whip the cream with the icing sugar until the mixture is thick and when you turn the bowl upside down the mixture does not come out.
17. Using a spatula carefully spread the cream over the top of it.
18. Coarsly grate one half of lime zest on top for decoration.
19. Slice, eat and enjoy!
The above is an amended recipe, the original recipe can be found here