1 & 1/2 oz butter
1 & 1/2 oz flour
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 pint fresh milk
6oz mature cheddar cheese, grated
salt and freshly ground black pepper
parsley to garnish
1. Cook macaroni in boiling water until tender, about 7 - 10 minutes.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add flour and mustard and cook slowly for 2 minutes. Stir often and do not allow mixture to brown.
3. Gradually blend in milk. Cook, stirring until sauce thickens, boils and is smooth. Simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat.
4. Stir in 4oz cheese. Season to taste.
5. Drain macaroni, add to sauce and mix.
6. Transfer to a 2pint greased flameproof dish.
7. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and brown under a hot grill.
8. Garnish with parsley.
- to re-heat place in an oven at 200°C, 400°F, Gas Mark 6 for 25 minutes